Tuesday 16 January 2018

Home

Alright, this is a bit late. A lot late. I can't even use the excuse of "I was too busy" on this one because it was quite the opposite.
The last few days in Japan were great, but uneventful from a blogging point of view. We spent a lot of time together as a family when I wasn't packing or finishing my report. We went out to a sushi bar for my last dinner and went shopping for some sweets to take back, like kapuriko and poky.
On the 13th, the morning before my plane, we went to Asakusa again and had a look at some of the shops that I didn't get to see last time I was there. We went for a really nice lunch, where the food was cooked on our table and we just ate it right off the hot plate. We ate way more than we should have, but it was worth it!
After that, I got changed and we headed off to the scout HQ with some meronpan (A nice, kinda sweet bread, but not as sweet as break cakes in Australia. It's more like a soft and light biscuit, actually. I definitely recommend it.). At the HQ I caught up a bit with Alya and we presented out reports. I had no idea that I was supposed to present it, so it was all in English and Tsumu had to translate for me. Oops.
We had some formalities, and Alya and I were given certificates. Pictures were taken, hands were shaken, and then off to the airport!
My host family stayed with me until I went into customs, just like my parents did when I left Australia. Just another thing that makes me feel like it's another home.
The flight was pretty uneventful, I mostly just listened to music. I couldn't sleep for most of it. I ended up getting so bored that I eventually watched Wonder Woman. Not a massive DC fan, but it wasn't too bad.
I landed about 5:30 and met Scott. We chatted about the trip while I waited for my parents, then started the long drive home. It was fantastic to see my family again and to see my house. It felt strange, honestly. Combined with seeing a new place, and returning home. There were just little things that were different that made it feel new, like the table being turned around, the water filter being moved, the birds being split into 2 cages, and so on.
I got to relax for a bit, continuing the picture in my stress-relief colouring book. Yeah, colouring in might seem childish to you, but keep in mind that I was using 0.3mm pens, and parts of the pictures were just big enough for them. It's pretty detailed.
Anyway, since then we went out to dinner with a couple of my parents' friends, I got to play my Switch again, hung out with a couple of friends, gone riding, and I now have a massive fluffy white cat trying to squish between me and my laptop to sit on my lap.
I'm starting to get back into the swing of things here, and I'm already job hunting. Good times.  -_-
I'm working out a daily routine to follow until I get a job, since I know for a fact that unless I have a sheet of paper on my desk or door telling me what to do first, I'm going to sit down with a book and then suddenly realise it's 4:00 and I haven't even gotten dressed. Last summer holidays. Interesting day...

Well, I suppose that this is my last post.
My trip to Japan was amazing, and I made so many friends there. I'm coming back with a new confidence and new skills.
This has been a fantastic 2 months, that I wouldn't trade for the world.
If any scout reading this still isn't sure about whether they should go or not, just go. I doubt that you'll regret it. You'll learn so much, and you'll leave with new friends that you'll hopefully stay in contact with for years to come.

Finally, this is Tegan, signing off for the last time.
I hope you enjoyed reading this as much as I enjoyed writing it.
Goodbye.
:)

No comments:

Post a Comment