Sunday 7 January 2018

Disney land, sea, school and the 7th.

Good news, I'm not dead!
I've just been really busy and haven't had time to update for a while...
So, What have I been up to?
DISNEY LAND!

On Thursday Utayo dropped Tsumu and me at the train station at about 5:45 AM. Fun.
We caught a 6:00 train to Tokyo, and caught another to the Tokyo Disney Resort. We caught a Disney train to Disney Sea (Like part 2 or Disney land, with more water themed franchises, like the little mermaid, and 20,000 leagues under the sea.)
We met Kako, a friend of ours that's been in Australia for the past year on student exchange. She's not a scout but went to Harristown SHS. I took her to scouts a lot, and she loved it! She's thinking about finding a Japanese scout group near her and trying it out. 
So, Since I'm really tired after all this, and have quite a bit to cover, I'll give you a brief bit of the Disney Resort.

First off, IT'S AMAZING!
If you ever get a chance to go, DO IT!
I understand why so many people go multiple times. We got to Disney Sea just as it opened on Thursday at 8:00, and didn't leave until after 9:00. We were there for over 12 hours and didn't get to go on all the rides. I don't think we made half! This place is massive, and we got lost so many times!
Disney land was a bit less time. We had breakfast at the hotel, and I may have gotten a bit carried away... (3 serves...) So we didn't leave until after 9:00. Probably about 10:00 by the time we got there. Then we left just after the night parade (Which was amazing! I skipped a rollercoaster for that, and I have no regrets!) which was about 8:00, and spent until almost 10:00 when it closed shopping. I managed to find 2 presents there for my family! Kako got all three of us a little ice cream keychain each and bought something for herself, or her family. Not sure. 
We got picked up by Utayo and driven back home. I finally crawled into bed sometime after 11:00, so probably got to sleep at almost midnight. And then, because of fantastic planning, got up at 7:00 to go to school. Some of you may think that 7 hours of sleep is plenty. But those of you who know me will know that any less than 8, I am a zombie the next morning. So, naturally...
But if anyone reading this has a chance to go, go on the Indiana Jones ride, and the StarWars ride! If they stay the same, you'll love it! Unless you don't like Indiana Jones or Star Wars... Or ger scared easily, or get motion sickness, or anything like that...
But, if you don't get those, DO IT!


Anyway, school was fun to be back at. 
Everyone was so nice, as usual, and I gave my email to Matano to keep in contact with him too. 
It was good to be back in karate too. It's always the highlight of my school days. 
I've only got one day left with these people, on Tuesday. Tsumu's betting that I'll cry. Considering I didn't even cry at graduation, which was the last day that I would see the people that I've been in the same classes as for the past 5 years, I don't think I will. 
Granted, most of those people at graduation that I won't see again weren't really my friends... 
Except for some people that I probably won't have an excuse to spend time with without it being awkward...
You know those people? The ones that you just enjoy being near, but have absolutely NOTHING in common with, so couldn't plan any sort of hang out? Yeah... So unless we got a gang gathering, there's a couple of people that I consider my friends that I probably won't see until the 10-year reunion, if at all.
Anyway, I will miss my classmates here, especially the guys in the karate club. It felt nice being one of the guys again. I don't get along with girls well, but Chihiro has proved to be a pretty good friend. I like to talk with her between classes, but I'm not sure if we have enough in common that we would hang out if I lived here. I think she's like my Ancient History classmates (The few that didn't give me dirty looks because I'm an unpopular kid, over a year younger than them, that isn't good enough to breathe the same air as them. Yeah, I got a lot of that...). Amy, Macca and Courtney mostly. We talked in class occasionally and got along well, but not enough to hang out. 
I hope to keep in contact with her though, and maybe the next time I come to visit Tsumu I can catch up with her. 

After school we went to see the new Star Wars movie in 4D!
Ok, so I'm going to rave about it, in both positive and negative, so...
I'll try to stay vague, but maybe skip down to the gap if you haven't seen it, just in case.


OH, MY GOD, I LOVED IT!! That movie was great in 4D!
The writing was OK... It could have been better, but hey, it's not as bad as the prequel series!
I was scared for a bit when the Force was being explained that they would bring up that which should not be named from episode 1, but I'm so glad they didn't! Some of the jokes were OK and didn't feel too forced to me. A couple were actually kind of funny.
I feel like they sacrificed a character for Ben's development (If you've seen it, you know who), but Ben didn't feel too bad either. I think it's just in his character to be dramatic and go to the extreme. 
And then... THAT scene!
I swear, with so much build up, they CANNOT do that with Ray's parents! He had to be lying! That is SUCH a copout! SERIOUSLY? 😠
Everything before and after points differently, and I swear, if someone told me that they rewrote and reshot that scene at the last minute, I would believe it! 
Also, I get why my brother and mum don't like it. Some of the older characters were a bit weak and out of character to what we were used to from past movies, and some scenes of the force didn't seem... normal...
But, hey, it's not as bad as some people think. 
I would say that it's like the prequel series in action (because seriously, with all the hate that those movies get, the original series didn't have much entertaining light sabre fighting. That was all in the prequels, remember? )
And honestly, the Prequels aren't that bad. I mean, yeah, it was a let down to see how Darth Vader fell, and Anakin was just a child for the whole thing and none of the characters were really interesting except for Obiwan, but, and I will quote Socca from Avatar the Last Airbender, "The effects were decent". 
So, The last Jedi was like them, with WAY better writing, even if there were a few flops. 
So, while it's not the best entry in the series, it was pretty good. It could have been SO much worse. I would watch it again.
That's just my take. Had to get that off my chest.
Back to the stuff that you actually want to read about. 









OK, you're safe if you skipped that. 
Sorry...
Anyway, today.
A normal thing for my scout group to do to get money is Car Parking. We volunteer to direct traffic at the Toowoomba Showgrounds during events like the Expo's, shows, competitions, and pretty much everything. 
That's what we did. 
Today was the coming of age ceremony, for everyone who turned 20 in the year past. The scouts had to direct the traffic in the freezing winter morning. Wonderful...
After that, the leaders gave us some lunch consisting of onigiri (rice balls). Then Utayo took Tsumu and me out shopping to try and find that last present that I need... I didn't...
Anyway, then we went back to the scout... Clearing? Place? Temple? It's not a den, so... I dunno... You get it. 
We went back for my farewell party. Yikes! last scouting event!
We had a bit of a tea ceremony, mixed with a party. it was nice. 
We had Japanese snacks, like umeboshi flavoured rice crackers, and Japanese biscuits, and I was taught how to properly make green tea in a ceremony setting! It was great! 
I can't describe this much here. It was a special time that seriously NEEDS to be experienced. To be accepted into a group like this, and be sent off in such a way. They even have a tradition, like my unit (I think) has started the tradition of the spiral hug to send someone off when they link up, or leave. It hasn't worked well so far, because some people don't mention it before they leave, but I hope that it can become a tradition!
Their tradition was a meaningful gesture with their hats, as I stood before the parade. a wave to send good luck and fortune my way, and to wish me a safe trip home. 

I even got to talk with the Beavers a bit. They are adorable! I can't believe that I'm actually starting to like children, considering how much I used to despise the noisy little things. I still very much dislike babies and certainly don't have the patience to take care of one, but kids about 7 and up aren't too bad. I think I'm starting to understand my sister's joy in working as a Nanny. It really is a wonderful feeling to make a child smile. 
After that, we went off the Baskin Robbins for some delicious ice cream! 
I had pear, rocky road, and caramel macadamia.
Tsumu had Popping candy, sherbet and choc hazelnut. 
DELICIOUS!

Then we went off to a bonfire!

Yeah, that big tower of bamboo fell over, as I expected.
Ropes and pegs don't do much when the base burns away. 




And then they cook mochi.
The Japanese New Years goes for a week. So, on the 7th they eat very plain, easy to digest food, to make up for the parties, ceremonies, and treats that they've had. 
They also have a bonfire to burn all their New Year's decorations, which apparently will bring good luck in the year to come.

Anyway... It's getting late, and I am EXHAUSTED!
I still have so much stuff planned for my last week, and my bed is calling to me. 
I'll see if I can post again before I get on the plane. I should be able to. I have Friday and Saturday morning off to pack, so I should be able to steal some time to update this about skiing and tomorrow's... whatever we're doing. All I know is that I'll be wearing my kimono. I think that they might just be taking me out to feel what it's like to get ready for a ceremony. It'll be great, I think!
I'll post pictures!

Well, goodnight from Japan!
I'll be home soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment